Thursday, April 23, 2009

WHY I LOVE OPEN SOURCE?

I am a loyalist! That's why all these years I'm a fan of commercial software. I usually don't trust unknown software especially open source because I have this impression that they're not reliable and safe. Hahahah! But that was before, before I worked with Virtual Assistant Technologies Inc. In here, we are obliged to work in a Linux environment, which is a well known open source operating system(OS). At first, I was not that comfortable with UBUNTU but after few months I get used to it. Not just used to it, I learn to love it! I learn to love open source!

Using open source software in my daily work gradually changed my perspective towards open source. It opened my mind to all the beneficial factors that it gives and I can say that I am also well informed of the disadvantages that it possesses. Disadvantages that might turn into an advantage through learning to interact in their community while asking questions,hearing answers, comments and feedbacks from other users and eventually gain friendship and wider knowledge.

Few people try to criticize open source because like me years ago, they also believe that it's not reliable since it's free. Yes, it is free but that doesn't mean they are not safe or non-reliable, these criticizers doesn't know who are the people behind the open source software development and they judge them without knowing that. Men behind the development of these softwares are great and intelligent individuals who tried to create options for us. Oppps!!! STOP! Maybe I need to end this issue here before I get attached to it. :)

Okay, so back to my love and interest to open source. Here are the software that I love most and the reasons why.

UBUNTU - I love its interface, especially the 3D desktop wherein I can play with it whenever I get bored with my work. :)

GIMP - Of course, most of us know Adobe Photoshop and you'll tell me "What's that? Never heard!". GIMP is an open source alternative for Photoshop, Corel or any commercialize Graphics/image Editor software. GIMP works almost the same with other commercial software, they have similar features and functionalities but of course there are differences too. I love GIMP nowadays and I use it more often that Photoshop.

PIDGIN - Pidgin is an IM software, an alternative for Yahoo Messenger. Though it has no webcam feature it enables you to add multiple accounts such as AIM, Yahoo Messenger and etc.

BOXEE! - I love Boxee! No need to explain the point is it's lovable! I swear! :)

And more to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment